Early Examples Of "Do Lord Remember Me" & Related Songs

Edited by Azizi Powell

This pancocojams post presents excerpts from two Mudcat folk music discussion threads and other online sources about early text examples of the song "Do Lord Remember Me" and other religious songs that influenced "So Lord Remember Me".

This post also includes a YouTube sound file of Mississippi John Hurt's rendition of "Do Lord Remember Me".

The content of this post is presented for historical, religious, cultural, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

Thanks to the composers and collectors of this song. Thanks to all those who are quoted in this post and thanks to Mississippi John Hurt for his musical legacy. Thanks also to the publisher of this video on YouTube.

****
PANCOCOJAMS EDITOR'S NOTES
From reading these excerpts, I gather that the song "Do Lord Remember Me" is dates at least from the early 1860s United States. Certain "African American*" religious songs (referred to as "jubilees") are cited below as early examples of "Do Lord Remember Me" or as songs that influenced versions of that song.

From reading these excerpts, it also appears that [White American] Julia Ward Howe (1819 � 1910), best known for composing "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic", also wrote "Do Lord Remember Me" or, at least, composed a version of that song.

These selected excerpts and quotes are given in no particular order. I've assigned numbers for these excerpts and quotes for referencing purposes only. Multiple selected quotes within an excerpt are also numbered.

*Note the referent "Negro" (also spelled with a lower case "n") is used in some of these quotes. That referent hasn't been used as a referent for African Americans since at least the late 1960s.

****
ONLINE EXCERPTS AND QUOTES

EXCERPT #1
From http://www.grace-notes--southern-styling-on-a-digital-piano.com/do-lord-oh-do-remember-me-way-beyond-the-blue-southern-gospel-on-piano/
Do Lord, Oh Do Remember Me (Way Beyond The Blue) Southern Gospel on Piano
Posted on December 16, 2012
" �Do Lord is such a fun song. Many think of it as a kid�s song, but the truth is, you�re never too old to enjoy it. Easy melody, simple lyrics, yes, it�s perfect for children to learn and sing along with. But I never outgrew it. Standing in church, clapping our hands, tapping our toes� having fun. Church should be a happy place...

The message is a good one, and more likely to be remembered for it�s simplicity. It�s also easy to add verses. Over my life, I�ve heard multiple variations, and there�s likely plenty that I haven�t run into yet. Some of the verses I know best are:

(of course) Do Lord, oh Do Lord, Oh Do Remember Me
I�ve got a home in Glory Land that Outshines the Sun
I took Jesus as my savior, you take him Too
Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
Do Lord Oh Do Lord Lyrics
Do Lord Oh Do Lord Lyrics

Wait, what was that last one? Yes, it�s Battle Hymn of the Republic. That�s actually a legitimate blending, because Battle Hymn and Do Lord are both credited to Julia Ward Howe (1819 � 1910). If she wrote both songs, then she can mix them up any way she wants. There�s a lot of history regarding origin of the Battle Hymn, but not much over Do Lord. And truthfully, her life was a life full of accomplishments, though she�s best remembered in association with Battle Hymn of the Republic, Julia was a speaker, a promoter of women�s rights, an author, and spent her life as an outspoken proponent of several grand causes. In many ways she was far ahead of her time, and not appreciated for it at that time. She even tried to establish an official Mother�s Day, though her attempt at that time was less than successful.

As I record these songs, I�m learning a lot. The songs themselves have deep meaning to me, but for each, some time is spent researching. Learn some history, begin to understand how and when they were written. Unexpected meanings behind the lyrics, social forces that drove the creation. For instance, Battle Hymn was written using an old folk tune, �John Brown�s Body�, for the melody. Before that, it was �Canaan�s Happy Shore�, and �Brothers Will You Meet Me�. She was requested to write new lyrics, to give fighting men a marching song to stir patriotism.

That�s just barely scratching the surface. If you�re interested Julia is worth reading about, and there�s a lot tor read, both by and about her. For me, the main point of interest is the music."

****
EXCERPT #2
From http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=32107
1.
"Subject: Lyr Add: BEULAH LAND
From: mousethief
Date: 19 Mar 01 - 06:12 PM

To the same melody,
I've got a sister in gloryland (or Beulah Land, wherever that is)
Outshine the sun
I've got a sister in gloryland
Outshine the sun
I've got a sister in gloryland
Outshine the sun
Away beyond the sky

I've got a brother/mother/father/etc.

Come and go to gloryland
Outshine the sun (etc.)

This from Mississippi John Hurt, who RULES.

Alex

**
2.
Subject: Do Lord Remember Me
From: Dicho
Date: 13 Nov 01 - 03:13 PM

DO LORD REMEMBER ME

Do Lord, do Lord, do remember me (3 times)
O do, Lord, remember me.

When I'm in trouble, do remember me, (3 times)
O do, Lord, remember me.

When I'm dyin, do remembr me (3 times)
O do, Lord, remember me.

When this world's on fire, do remember me (3 times)
O do, Lord, remember me.

1st verse of When My Blood Runs Chiller and Cold identical to 1st verse here.
John W. Work, American Negro Songs and Spirituals, 1940, p. 82.

**
3.
Subject: RE: Lyr Add: Do Lord Remember Me
From: Dicho
Date: 17 Dec 01 - 02:53 PM

DO LORD REMEMBER ME

Cho.
Do Lard, do Lawd, do remember me (3 times)
Do Lawd, remember me.

When I'm sick an' by myself,
Do remember me; (sing couplet 3 times)
Do, Lawd, remember me.

When I'm crossin' Jurdon, etc.

If I ain't got no frien's at all, etc.

Paul and Silus bound in jail, etc.

One did sing while the other one prayed, etc.

When I'm bound in trouble, etc.

When I'm goin' from do' to do', etc.

Grissom, The Negro Sings a New Heaven, 1930 (Dover 1969), p. 68-69 with music.
Some different verses here.

**
4.
Subject: RE: Lyr Add: Do Lord Remember Me
From: Q (Frank Staplin)
Date: 18 Nov 10 - 02:01 PM

1863,"Under the Palmetto," H. G. Spaulding, Continental Monthly, Vol. 4, No. 2, p. 198.

O, Lord, Do, Lord (no title)

I'm a like to die as Jesus die,
An' he die with a freely good will,
He lay in de grabe,
An' he stretchy out He arms,
O Lord, remember me.
Chorus:

O, Lord, remember me,
Do, Lord, remember me;
Remember me when de year rolls round,
O, Lord, remember me.

Brief musical score.

http://books.google.com/books?id=uzEZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA199&dq=%22O+brudder+William%22#22&f=false *

Article found by Jim Dixon.
-snip-
This link is to a Google Books edition of �The Continental Monthly, Volume 4

J.R. Gilmore, 1868 - American periodicals"
-snip-
* That link is no longer viable.

****
EXCERPT #3
From http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=40977
Subject: Lyr Add: WHEN MY BLOOD RUNS CHILLER AND COLD
1.
"From: Dicho
Date: 09 Nov 01 - 08:24 PM

WHEN MY BLOOD RUNS CHILLER AND COLD

Cho.
Oh, do, Lord, do, Lord, do remember me,
Do Lord, do, Lord, do remember me,
Oh, do, Lord, do, Lord, do remember me,
Oh, do, Lord, remember me.

When my blood runs chiller and cold, do remember me,
Oh, when my blood runs chiller and cold, do remember me,
Oh, when my blood runs chiller and cold, do remember me,
Oh, do, Lord, remember me.

Cho.
I've got a home in Beulah Land, outshine the sun,
Outshine the sun, outshine the sun,
Oh, I've got a home in Beulah Land, outshine the sun,
'Way beyond the sky.

Cho.
Oh, the shoes that my God give me, outshine the sun, etc.
Cho.
Oh, the robe that my God give me, outshine the sun, etc.

Cho.
If you don't wear no crosses, you can't wear no crown, (3 times)
'Way beyond the sky.

Cho.
Oh, the crown that my God give me outshine the sun,
Outshine the sun, outshine the sun,
Oh, the crown that my God give me outshine the sun,
'Way beyond the sky.
Cho.

Rev. J. R. Gipson and wife, Merryville, LA. John and Ruby Lomax 1939 Southern States Recording Trip. Two songs combined? Only the 1st verse and chorus seem to go with the title.

****
2.
Subject: Lyr Add: WHEN MY BLOOD RUNS CHILLY AND COL'
From: Dicho
Date: 18 Nov 01 - 06:19 PM

When my Blood Runs Chilly and Col'

Oh, when my blood runs chilly an' col',
I'se got to go, I'se got to go, I'se got to go;
Oh, when my blood runs chilly an' col',
I'se got to go, Way beyond de moon.

Cho.
Do, Lord, do, Lord, do remember me,
Oh, do, Lord, do, Lord, do remember me (twice)
Oh, do, Lord, remember me.

Ef you cain't bear no crosses, you cain't wear no crown, 3 times)
Way beyond the moon.

I'se got a mother* in de Beulah land, she's callin' me,
She's callin' me, she's callin' me,
I'se got a mother in de Beulah land, she's callin' me,
Way beyond de sun.

*Repeated for father, brother, sister, etc.

**De harder yo' crosses, de brighter yo' crown, (3 times)
Way beyond de moon.
**Or, Right under your cross, there lies your crown.

Unattributed, in American Ballads and Folk Songs, John A. and Alan Lomax, 1934, p. 610-611.

****
3.
Subject: Lyr Add: JESUS, THOU ART THE SINNER'S FRIEND
From: masato sakurai
Date: 20 Nov 01 - 03:39 AM

"Do, Lord, Remember Me" is also in Grissom, The Negro Sings a New Heaven (1930; Dover, 1969, p. 68; with music)[quoted in Jackson, White and Negro Spirituals, p. 165], and Odum and Johnson, The Negro and His Songs (1925; Negro Universities Press, 1968, p. 92). The version sung by Jimmie Strothers and Joe Lee is in Various Artists, Negro Religious Songs and Services (Rounder CD 1514).
George Pullen Jackson says, "A negro spiritual inspired by this song [Jesus, Thou Art the Sinner's Friend in the Sacred Harp (1844), the Southern Harmony (1835), etc.] is 'Lord, Remember Me'." (Spiritual Folk-Songs of Early America, 1937; Dover, 1964, p. 144). The first stanza with refrain (2x) is:

Jesus, thou art the sinner's friend,
As such I look to thee;
Now in the bowels of thy love,
O Lord, remember me.
O Lord remember me,
O Lord remember me;
Now in the bowels of thy love,
O Lord remember me.
~Masato

****
4.
Subject: Lyr Add: GOIN' TO OUTSHINE DE SUN
From: Dicho
Date: 10 Feb 02 - 09:09 PM

Lyr. Add: GOIN' TO OUTSHINE DE SUN

Well, my mother's goin' to heaven,
She's goin' to outshine the sun, O lord.
Well, my mother's goin' to heaven,
She's goin' to outshine the sun,
Yes, my mother's goin' to heaven to outshine the sun,
An' it's 'way beyon' the moon.

You got a home in the promise lan',
Goin' to outshine the sun, O Lord,
An' it's 'way beyon' the moon.

The crown that my Jesus gave me,
Goin' to outshine the sun, my Lord,
An' it's 'way beyond the moon.

Goin' to put on my crown in glory,
An' outshine the sun, O Lord,
'Way beyond the moon.

H. W. Odum and G. B. Johnson, 1925 (1976) The Negro and His Songs, p. 110, no music."

****
EXCERPT #5
From https://www.loc.gov/folklife/LP/NegroReligiousSongsL10_opt.pdf MUSIC DIVISION-RECORDING LABORATORY

FOLK MUSIC OF THE UNITED STATES
"Issued from the Collections of the Archive of American Folk Song
�� A. 1. DO, LORD, REMEMBER ME

A. 1. DO, LORD, REMEMBER ME
[Song and] banjo by Jimmie Strothers and Joe Lee... 1936*

[...]

BLIND Jimmie Sirothers learned his hearty minstrel style of gospel singing while traveling with a medicine [show. Joe Lee sings jubilee songs in truly spiritual fashion. Both have considerable showmanship. In the first selection Joe Lee beats two pieces of wire on the finger-board of the banjo, deftly avoiding the fingers of the player.*

For �Do, Lord, Remember Me" see Spiritual in Old and New by Edward Boatner and Mrs. Willa A. Townsend (Nashville, Tennessee, 1927), No. 54, and American Negro Songs by John W. Work (New York,1940), p. 82.*

[...]

DO,LORD,REMEMBER ME
CHORUS:
[Oh,] Do, Lord, do, Lord, Lord, remember m
Do, Lord, do, Lord, oh; Lord, remember me.

Hallelujuh!

Do, Lord, do, Lord, oh, Lord, remember me.

Oh, do, Lord, remember me.

1. Oh, when I'm in trouble,

Down on my knees,

When I was in trouble,

Lord, remember me.

Oh, when I'm in trouble,

Lord, remember me,

Lord, do, Lord, remember me.

2. Oh, when I am dyin',

Lord, remember me,

Oh, when I am dyin',

Lord, remember me,

Oh, when I am uyin',

Lord, remember me,

Oh, do, Lord, remember me.

Oh, I'm gonna take a little journey,

Lord, remember me.

I'm gonna take little Journey,

Lord, remember me.

Oh, I'm gonna take a little journey,

Lord, remember me,

Oh; do, Lord, remember me."
-snip-
*These portions have multiple misspellings. I rewrote them in this post without those misspellings to enhance their readability.

****
SHOWCASE YOUTUBE EXAMPLE: Mississippi John Hurt - Do Lord, Remember Me - field recordings



MyMoppet52, Published on Oct 3, 2014

This is from the 1963 field recordings of Thomas Hoskins when he first met Mississippi John Hurt after tracking him down through a 1920's song. Mrs. Hurt joins her husband in singing "Do Lord, Remember Me". Hurt didn't own a guitar, had not performed in years, had forgotten some of the words, AND had a sore throat that day the stranger showed up. He passed away in 1966, so all (but one recording) the wonderful music we have from him was made in 3 short years. The album, "Discovery: The Rebirth of Mississippi John Hurt" was made from tapes of March 1963, but released in 2011. Enjoy the first meeting of the musicologist and Mississippi John Hurt!

****
Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

Related Posts
Previous
« Prev Post

Social Share